Proposing a Special Session
Thank you for your interest in proposing a special session for the 2017 MLA Annual Convention in Philadelphia. The deadline to submit a proposal was 1 April 2016.
- Completed proposals must be submitted on the proposal form by 1 April.
- Only current MLA members may propose a special session.
- MLA members may propose only one special session per convention.
- Audiovisual equipment requests must be included on the proposal form.
- Special-session proposals may not be combined with other sessions or jointly submitted.
- Session participants must be MLA members (or have their membership waived) by 7 April.
- No more than two participants (including the session leader and respondent) may be from the same institution unless the institution is a key aspect of the session.
- Proposals are reviewed by the Program Committee in May; session organizers are notified of the committee’s decision by early June.
The above is only a partial list of proposal instructions. We strongly recommend that you review the links below before beginning your proposal.
Resources for Session Proposers
Calendar of Deadlines
Examples of Proposal Forms for Convention Sessions
Procedures for Organizing Meetings at the MLA Convention
Scoring Guidelines for Special Sessions
What Makes a Successful Special-Session Proposal?
Why Was the Session I Submitted Accepted for the Convention?