Tuesday, 28 December
181. Teaching Tolerance: Combating Bigotry
12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., 202-B, Convention Center
Program arranged by the Ad Hoc Committee on Diversity and Tolerance
Presiding: Laraine R. Fergenson, Bronx Community Coll., City Univ. of New York
1. “Serving Multiculturalism: Service Learning in the Literature Classroom,” Laurie E. Grobman, Penn State Univ., Berks Campus
2. “Teaching Holocaust Literature to Catholics: What Makes a Person Jewish?” Karen Surman Paley, Rhode Island Coll.
3. “Understanding Difference through Undergraduate Research: One Class’s Self-Published Anthology on African American Literature,” Nicole Lynne Willey, Kent State Univ., Tuscarawas Campus
4. “Institutionalizing the Struggle against Bigotry: The Brooklyn Center for Diversity and Multicultural Studies,” Joseph Wilson, Brooklyn Coll., City Univ. of New York
Respondent: Alison Mandaville, Pacific Lutheran Univ.