Wednesday, 28 December
327. Reading the Oriental Romance
7:15–8:30 p.m., Caucus, Washington Hilton
Program arranged by the Publications Committee
Presiding: C. P. Haun Saussy, Yale Univ.
1. “‘She Was a Sword in the Hand of His Glance’: Postclassical Turkish Imagery,” Victoria Holbrook, Istanbul, Turkey
2. “Old China, Again,” Elizabeth Dale Samet, United States Military Acad.
3. “‘The Cutting Edge of Translation’: Ambivalence and Intercultural Exchange in William Beckford’s Vathek,” Rebecca Carol Johnson, Yale Univ.
4. “From Chronotope to Xenotrope: How Genre Became Orientalist,” Srinivas Aravamudan, Duke Univ.