Saturday, 08 January
514. Thought Experiments in Speculative Fiction
12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., Platinum Salon J, J. W. Marriott
Program arranged by the Discussion Group on Science Fiction and Utopian and Fantastic Literature
Presiding: Shoshana Milgram Knapp, Virginia Polytechnic Inst. and State Univ.
1. “Plato’s Thought Experiment: Reading The Republic as Utopian Literature,” Kara Zavarella, New York Univ.
2. “Comparing Models of Speculative Fiction: Kepler, Sartre, and Cortázar,” Luis O. Arata, Quinnipiac Univ.
3. “Automatic Justice: Prison and Mobility in Walter Mosley’s ‘Imminent Future,’” Lisa Woolfork, Univ. of Virginia
4. “‘We’re Hard-Wired for Dreams’: Reimagining Genesis and the Human in Atwood’s Oryx and Crake,” Eric Aronoff, Michigan State Univ.