Wednesday, 30 December
664. Religion and Spirituality in Children’s and Young-Adult Literature
10:15–11:30 a.m., Washington C, Loews
Program arranged by the Division on Children’s Literature
Presiding: Keith Dorwick, Univ. of Louisiana, Lafayette; Jameela Lares, Univ. of Southern Mississippi
1. “Eliza Lee Cabot Follen and Milton’s Little Abolitionists,” Reginald A. Wilburn, Univ. of New Hampshire, Durham
2. “Spirituality and Coming-of-Age: Terry Davis’s Vision Quest and Pete Hautman’s Godless,” Natalie Stowe, Simmons Coll.
3. “The Inexplicable Moon and the Postsecular Moment: Turkish and American Experiences of the Lunar Landing in Two Picture Books,” Graeme Wend-Walker, Texas State Univ.
4. “Sunny Baudelaire Speaks Hebrew and Count Olaf Speaks Yiddish? Crypto-Jews and Hidden Jewish Tropes in American Children’s Literature,” Craig Svonkin, Metropolitan State Coll. of Denver
For abstracts, visit www.ucs.louisiana.edu/~kxd4350/religion-spiritMLA2009/.