Wednesday, 30 December
727. Edith Wharton: New Directions
1:45–3:00 p.m., 408, Philadelphia Marriott
Program arranged by the Edith Wharton Society
Presiding: Hildegard Maria Hoeller, Coll. of Staten Island, City Univ. of New York
1. “The Custom of the Country: Edith Wharton’s Conversation with the Atlantic Monthly,” Susan Goodman, Univ. of Delaware, Newark
2. “Wired Wharton,” Aaron S. Worth, Boston Univ.
3. “The Virgin in the Harem: Lily Bart as Odalisque in The House of Mirth,” Candace McCall, Tufts Univ.
4. “‘Other People’s Clothes’: Homosociality and Consumer Desire in Summer,” Meredith Lynn Goldsmith, Ursinus Coll.