Tuesday, 28 December
184. Brecht and Postwar Popular Music
12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., Regency Ballroom C1, Loews
Program arranged by the International Brecht Society
Presiding: Marc David Silberman, Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison
1. “Brecht and Sondheim: An Unholy Alliance,” Scott McMillin, Cornell Univ.
2. “Nina Simone’s Musical Theater of Gest,” Don Belton, Temple Univ.
3. “Brechtian Theory in Practice: Avant-Garde Punk from the Velvet Underground to the Talking Heads,” Nels Jeff Rogers, Univ. of Kentucky
4. “‘Hang the DJ’: Surreal Agit-Prop, 1980s Britpop, and a Brechtian Rereading of the Smiths,” Gary Pratt, Temple Univ.