Friday, 07 January
330. Representation and the Problem of Democracy
3:30–4:45 p.m., Diamond Salon 7, J. W. Marriott
Program arranged by the Graduate Student Caucus
Presiding: Swati Rana, Univ. of California, Berkeley
1. “Regional Modernism: The Politics of Democratic Architecture and Domestic Narrative in Late Modernism,” Christina Van Houten, Univ. of Florida
2. “‘Ugly and Undistinguished’: Democratic Taste in The Blacker the Berry,” Mary Unger, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana
3. “Local Representations: The Alternative Democracies of Antebellum Fiction,” Bert Emerson, Claremont Graduate Univ.
4. “‘We Are Two Nations’: U.S.A. and the Democratization of Bartolomeo Vanzetti,” Dan Colson, Univ. of Illinois, Urbana
For abstracts, write to email@example.com.