Saturday, 27 December
94. Conrad’s Haunted Imagination
5:15–6:30 p.m., Continental 1, Hilton
Program arranged by the Joseph Conrad Society of America
Presiding: Vanessa Burrows, Chapman Univ.; Richard Jeffrey Ruppel, Chapman Univ.
1. “‘Matter That Never Dies’: Conrad’s Material Ghosts,” David McWhirter, Texas A&M Univ., College Station
2. “Subjects without a Substance: Gender, Race, Ideology, and Psychic Disposession in Heart of Darkness,” Nidesh Lawtoo, Univ. of Washington, Seattle
3. “Specters, Spells, and Vampires: The Role of the Gothic in Heart of Darkness and Nostromo,” Vanessa Burrows
4. “‘Harlequin Gives Me the Creeps’: Conrad’s Demons, Female Voracity, and Colonial Exorcism,” Agata Szczeszak-Brewer, Wabash Coll.