Saturday, 30 December
699. Folklore in Postcolonial or Ethnic Literature
12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., 409, Philadelphia Marriott
Program arranged by the American Folklore Society
Presiding: Shane D. Graham, Utah State Univ.
1. “Neo-oral Culture and the Construction of Postimperial Identity in Julian Barnes’s England, England,” Edward Barnaby, Yale Univ.
2. “The Anancy Poetics of Caribbean Women Writers: The Case of Scholar-Novelist Erna Brodber,” Shirley Dyann Toland-Dix, Univ. of South Florida, Tampa
3. “Chingiz Aitmatov: Conscience of Soviet Central Asia,” Erika Haber, Syracuse Univ.
4. “Princess of the Snake Palace: Myth as Empowerment in Chitra Divakaruni’s Novels,” Bansari Mitra, North Georgia Coll. and State Univ.