Sunday, 09 January
817. Transnational Encounters with Islam in English Literature
1:45–3:00 p.m., Diamond Salon 1, J. W. Marriott
A special session
Presiding: Humberto Garcia, Vanderbilt Univ.
1. “Deconstruction in Degrees: Encountering Islam in Ruth Prawer Jhabvala’s Heat and Dust and Zadie Smith’s White Teeth,” Sri Mukherjee, Harvard Univ.
2. “Muslim American Autobiography: Writing the Self in Mohja Kahf’s Poetry and Fiction,” Leila Pazargadi, Univ. of California, Los Angeles
3. “Agency and Victimization: The Eastern Woman in the Orientalist Romances of Lord Byron and Henry Gally Knight,” Mariam Radhwi, Univ. of Calgary
4. “The Infidelities of Individuality: Byron and Orientalist Apostasy,” Gerard Cohen-Vrignaud, Univ. of Tennessee, Knoxville
For abstracts, write to firstname.lastname@example.org.