Sunday, 30 December
770. Writing Empires: Writing Histories and Theories
1:45–3:00 p.m., Gold Coast, Hyatt Regency
Program arranged by the Society for Critical Exchange
Presiding: Kimberly K. Emmons, Case Western Reserve Univ.
1. “New Immigrants, New Women, and Settlement House Writing Instruction in the United States, 1880–1920,” Amy Dunham Strand, Aquinas Coll., MI
2. “Writing Empire through American Letters: Imperial Dominance and Literary Study in the Formation of the American Canon,” Meg Wesling, Univ. of California, San Diego
3. “Constructing the Citizen-Subject on Paper: Nineteenth-Century Venezuelan Textbooks,” Amy L. Sellin, Fort Lewis Coll.
4. “Novel Imperialisms: Mass-Market Fiction and the Global Circuits of Empire,” William J. Kupinse, Univ. of Puget Sound
Respondent: Lisa Marie Maruca, Wayne State Univ.
For copies of papers, visit www.case.edu/affil/sce.