Sunday, 30 December
684. Race and Empire in East Asian Literature
10:15–11:30 a.m., Ontario, Sheraton Chicago
Program arranged by the Division on East Asian Languages and Literatures after 1900
Presiding: Dennis Washburn, Dartmouth Coll.
1. “Eugenics and the Discourse of the Imperial Subject in Shimazaki Toson’s Hakai,” Dennis Washburn
2. “Russian Manchukuo: Between Legal Exclusion and Visual Inclusion,” InYoung Bong, Cornell Univ.
3. “Negotiating Racial Ideologies and Constructions of Empire in Chinese and Korean Translations of Japanese Battlefront Literature,” Karen Thornber, Harvard Univ.
4. “Race, Culture, and Language in Late Colonial Korean Modernist Literary Theory,” Christopher Hanscom, Dartmouth Coll.