Wednesday, 29 December
615. The Hymn in English: Affect, Cultural Politics, Identity
9:00–10:15 p.m., 308, Philadelphia Marriott
A special session
Session leader: Robert Phillips Sulcer, Hofstra Univ.
1. “‘I’ve Found a Friend’: Nineteenth-Century Hymns and Romantic Ideals of Friendship,” Ruth Vanita, Univ. of Montana
2. “The Poetry of Community: Victorian Women’s Hymns and Communal Subjectivity,” Julie Melnyk, Univ. of Missouri, Columbia
3. “Paradoxical Empowerment: Theology, Gender, and Disability in the Hymns of Fanny J. Crosby and Frances Ridley Havergal,” Virginia Bemis, Ashland Univ.
4. “Hymns for Infant Minds: Changes in Moral Education and Childhood in Women’s Hymn Writing for Children, 1780–1850,” Nancy Cho, Univ. of Durham