Friday, 29 December
490. African and African American Feminisms: Theoretical and Pedagogical Approaches to Literature and Culture
1:45–3:00 p.m., Commonwealth Hall D, Loews
Program arranged by the Division on Women’s Studies in Language and Literature
Presiding: Susan S. Lanser, Brandeis Univ.
1. “Writing the Text of Female Empowerment: The Children’s Literature of Faith Ringgold,” Myisha T. Priest, Univ. of California, Los Angeles
2. “Love and Feminism in the Age of Oprah’s Book Club: Teaching The Autobiography of My Mother to Resistant Readers,” Eve E. Dunbar, Vassar Coll.
3. “We Belong Here, Too: African Muslim Feminist Thought in Zaynab Alkali’s Novels,” Shirin E. Edwin, Sam Houston State Univ.
4. “African Women Memoirists in Europe: Campaigns against Female Genital Mutilation,” Tobe Levin, Univ. of Maryland in Europe