Tuesday, 29 December
412. Postapocalyptic Utopias and Dystopias
10:15–11:30 a.m., Grand Ballroom Salon L, Philadelphia Marriott
Program arranged by the Discussion Group on Science Fiction and Utopian and Fantastic Literature
Presiding: Dale Knickerbocker, East Carolina Univ.
1. “Middle Apocalypse: Cormac McCarthy’s The Road,” Rebekah Sheldon, Graduate Center, City Univ. of New York
2. “Bios as Eschatos: Octavia Butler’s Darwinian Utopia,” Adam Johns, Univ. of Pittsburgh
3. “Homo Ethicalis: Evolution as Apocalypse in Bernard Malamud’s God’s Grace,” Deborah Bailin, Univ. of Maryland, College Park
4. “Severing the Heads of Decrepit Stereotypes: The Black Superwoman in the Land of Zombies,” Kinitra Brooks, Univ. of Texas, San Antonio
For abstracts, visit http://core.ecu.edu/forl/knickerbockerd/mlasession.mht.