Thursday, 27 December
30. Chicago as Metaphor in Midwestern Writings
3:30–4:45 p.m., Skyway Suite 265, Hyatt Regency
Program arranged by the Society for the Study of Midwestern Literature
Presiding: Marilyn Judith Atlas, Ohio Univ., Athens
1. “Playing with the Faith of Fifty Million People: The 1919 Chicago Black Sox, Authors of American Disenchantment, and Babbitt,” Joe Webb, Saint Louis Univ.
2. “Love Her and Leave Her: Chicago as a Literary Muse/Mistress,” Sara A. Kosiba, Kent State Univ., Kent
3. “A Place of Sanity: Chicago as a Metaphor of Commercial Reality in Richard Powers’s Prisoner’s Dilemma,” Jochem Riesthuis, Free Univ. Amsterdam
4. “Resisting Middle America: Chicago Italian American Neighborhoods,” JoAnne Ruvoli, Univ. of Illinois, Chicago
Respondent: David D. Anderson, Michigan State Univ.