Wednesday, 28 December
287. Travel Writing in and out of Italy: Representations of the Other
3:30–4:45 p.m., Edison, Washington Hilton
Program arranged by the Division on Seventeenth-, Eighteenth-, and Nineteenth-Century Italian Literature
Presiding: Silvia Mariana Ross, Univ. Coll. Cork
1. “Performing Cultural Encounters in Baroque Italian Travel Writing,” Nathalie Claire Hester, Univ. of Oregon
2. “When in Rome: Dickens, Symonds, and the Italian ‘Other,’” Oliver Samuel Buckton, Florida Atlantic Univ.
3. “Aesthetics in the ‘Contact Zones’: Paolo Mantegazza’s Travelogues,” Nicoletta Pireddu, Georgetown Univ.
4. “Italia turistica: Tourist Guidebooks and Narratives of Italy,” Stephanie Hom Cary, Univ. of California, Berkeley
For copies of abstracts, visit www.ucc.ie/italian/mla2005travelwritingitaly.html.