Wednesday, 28 December
284. (In)Comparable Américas? Writing Race and Ethnicity in the Hemisphere
3:30–4:45 p.m., Park Tower Suite 8219, Marriott
Program arranged by the Committee on the Literatures of People of Color in the United States and Canada
Presiding: Agnes Ivelisse Lugo-Ortiz, Univ. of Chicago
1. “The Construction of the White Woman and the Embodiment of Female Virtue in Colonial New Spain and New England,” Felicia Smith-Kleiner, London, England
2. “Republicanism and Race in 1850s New York: The Contradictions of the Cuban Nationalist Movement,” David Luis-Brown, Lafayette Coll.
3. “Does Indigenismo Have a Transamerican Future?” Katherine Sugg, Central Connecticut State Univ.
4. “Canada and the Americas: Indigeneity and Diasporic Belonging,” Sarah P. Casteel, Carleton Univ.