Friday, 28 December
267. Gender in the Works of African Women Writers
1:45–3:00 p.m., Columbus A and B, Sheraton Chicago
Program arranged by the Division on African Literatures
Presiding: Patricia Jabbeh Wesley, Penn State Univ., Altoona
1. “A New Look at Male-Female Relationships: Leila Abouzeid’s Novel The Last Chapter,” Touria Khannous, Sidi Mohammed Ben Abdellah Univ.
2. “(Re)Negotiating African Women’s Subjectivity in Amma Darko’s Beyond the Horizon and Chimamanda Ngozi Adichie’s Purple Hibiscus,” Patrick Muana, Texas A&M Univ., College Station
3. “Gender Struggle in the Works of Hispanic African Women Writers: María Nsue Angue,” Alain Lawo Sukam, Georgia Southern Univ.
4. “Claiming Voice: Migration, Gender, and Subjectivity in African Women’s Writing,” Maureen Ngozi Eke, Central Michigan Univ.