Friday, 07 January
254. Dirt, Desire, Recollection: James Joyce and Virginia Woolf
12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., Plaza III, J. W. Marriott
Program arranged by the International Virginia Woolf Society and the International James Joyce Foundation
Presiding: Bonnie Kime Scott, San Diego State Univ.
1. “Woolf’s Gothic Modernism: Spirited Feminism in To the Lighthouse,” Bonita Rhoads, Masaryk Univ.
2. “Shitting on Empire: Metropolitan Abjection and Colonial Returns in Virginia Woolf’s London,” Katherine Merz, Univ. of Wisconsin, Madison
3. “The Crumbs of Ulysses,” Abby S. Bender, New York Univ.
4. “Joyce, Woolf, and the Philosophy of Dirt,” Richard H. Brown, Univ. of Leeds