Tuesday, 28 December
231. Origins of Totalitarianism II: National Desires
1:45–3:00 p.m., Regency Ballroom C2, Loews
Program arranged by the Division on Nineteenth- and Early-Twentieth-Century German Literature
Presiding: Elke P. Frederiksen, Univ. of Maryland, College Park
1. “The Father in Fatherland: Ideology and Corporeal Paternity in Kleist,” Stefani B. Engelstein, Univ. of Missouri, Columbia
2. “The National-Social Legacy: Gertrud Bäumer and the Left Liberal Roots of German Fascism, 1890–1945,” Eric Kurlander, Stetson Univ.
3. “Authoritarian Nostalgia: Gustav Frenssen’s Cultural Protestantism,” Volker Max Langbehn, San Francisco State Univ.
4. “Realpolitik of the Schreber Case,” Henry Erik Butler, Emory Univ.