Tuesday, 28 December
186. Sexuality’s Plantation Myth(s)
12:00 noon–1:15 p.m., Grand Ballroom Salon L, Philadelphia Marriott
Program arranged by the Discussion Group on Southern Literature
Presiding: Sharon Patricia Holland, Univ. of Illinois, Chicago
1. “A Place for Giggling Field Hands: Queer Power and Social Equality in the Mid-Twentieth-Century Plantation Myth,” Michael Paul Bibler, Tulane Univ.
2. “Performing Clytie in Dominica: Disarticulating Sexuality’s Plantation Myths in Jamaica Kincaid’s The Autobiography of My Mother,” Jana Evans Braziel, Univ. of Cincinnati
3. “A Marriage of Property: George Washington Cable’s Reconfiguration of the Plantation Myth,” Michael P. Kreyling, Vanderbilt Univ.
4. “Plantation’s Pornotropes: Black Bodies in Plantation Cinema,” Alexander G. Weheliye, Northwestern Univ.